Tuesday 21 September 2010

Something just brought me back.

It's definitely been ages since the last time I shared something with you. I don't really know if there is still someone there to read what I write but there are loads of things I can write about so I'll just go for it.
My teaching world has changed. I have just finished my course of studies and I am now a graduate teacher of English. I know that it's just a certificate and that the way I face the classroom has not changed but, still, there is something different. All those years, all those hours I spent commuting, all those never-ending assignments, all those essays, all those final exams are now over. 
I've just said that it's a certificate. That it's a piece of paper. Well, now that I think about it, I'd say it's not. It's something that will always remind me of all those wonderful teachers and classmates I grew up with. All those people who helped me be the teacher I am today and I am incredibly happy it all worked out the way it did. 
In the end, however, certificates are indeed mere pieces of paper. When I am in the classroom it's just me and my students. There are no more presentations, no more tests, no more assignments to present. There is no more formal evaluation. But there is a more difficult test to face: to be the teacher my students need. Is that so? Am I the teacher my students need? Well, answering that question can certainly be a tough job if we agree to the fact that we cannot always know what everyone needs. 
So, instead of just sitting here asking myself rethorical questions, I'm decided to keep on learning because if I'm only sure about something it definitely is that when the learning process is successfully taking place we can hardly tell apart the one who is teaching from the who is learning.


The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates. The great teacher inspires. William Arthur Ward

2 comments:

  1. Hi Alez!
    You may be surprised to know last-year attendants are still part of the class Feevy, so this year's students are reading you too! ;-)
    Just wanted to say I'm glad you keep your reflective attitude now you're on your own. I never doubted you would, anyway! As for the questions you ask yourself, I think even if we knew it'd be really hard -if not impossible- to meet every learner's needs! On second thoughts, I don't think even our students expect that much from us... they just want us to do our best and care for their learning... The rest, I hope... "will take care of itself"...

    Glad to keep in touch,
    Gladys

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Alez!! You left me absolutely wordless... I really liked your reflections and was specially touched by this last words of yours: "if I'm only sure about something it definitely is that when the learning process is successfully taking place we can hardly tell apart the one who is teaching from the who is learning." I think that is absolutely real... As a student I0ve always appreciated those teahcers that, as they are teaching us, they show interest on keepping learning from their students, from their collegues, from life. As a teacher to be, I aspire to that same way of understanding the complex learning process...
    Anyway, loved reading your thoughts! Keep thinking ;)
    Amp

    ReplyDelete